Thursday, February 10, 2011

For Memoir Writers: a recommendation

For my publishing clients who are working on memoirs, I always recommend they take a look at the memoirs by Patricia Hampl.Her memoirs include The Florist's Daughter, Blue Arabesque, and If I Could Tell You Stories

At Hampl's site, I now see she has a new book, and if you're working on a memoir, analyzing what works, you might want to take a look at the book: Tell Me True: Memoir, History, and Writing a Life (Co-edited with Elaine Tyler May)

"Balancing precariously between history and literature, memoir writers have finally found their place on the bookshelf. But increased notoriety brings intense scrutiny: memoirists are expected to create a narrative worthy of fiction while also staying true to the facts. Historians, too, handle tricky issues of writing from "real life," when imagination must fill gaps in the historical record.

Patricia Hampl and Elaine Tyler May have gathered fourteen original essays from award-winning memoirists and historians. Whether the record emerges from archival sources or from personal memory, these writers show how to make the leap to telling a good story, while also telling us true.

Contributors: Andre Aciman, Matt Becker, June Cross, Carlos Eire, Helen Epstein, Samuel G Freedman, Patricia Hampl, Fenton Johnson, Alice Kaplan, Annette Kobak, Michael MacDonald, Elaine Tyler May, Cheri Register, D. J. Waldie."
More here: http://patriciahampl.com/test/tellme.html


Helen Gallagher

2 comments:

Becky Wright said...

Thank you, Helen! I've been a songwriter for years (about 400 songs to date- many recorded by other artists, besides myself). I've written just a handful of blogs, however, and done a good bit of public speaking, workshops, etc. However, I'm finally working on my first BOOK, and it is basically memoirs! So your blog here was very helpful, and I'm definitely going to look into the book you recommended, as well as your own book. THANK YOU! Love to meet you in my travels one day! Becky Wright, Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Computer Clarity © 2004 said...

Thank you, Becky. I'm glad you are motivated. I looked at your site and you do have an amazing story to tell.
With your permission, I'm posting a link to your site here, so people can learn more about your music and your work.

Visit http://www.beckywrightsongs.com/

Helen Gallagher